Many a times we at Exotel get a ton of questions coming across and asking what type of numbers are available in India and our answer is:
1. Mobile Numbers
3. Landline Numbers
4. Short & Long Code for SMS’s
Mostly people are gazumped by how Toll Free numbers work and hence wanted to break a few basic myths:
1. In India it is normally a 1-800 series number (can be other numbers as well like 000800 starting) which can be dialed by anyone across the country and the person dialing the number is NOT charged.
2. The company that owns the Toll Free number has to then bear the charges of that no-call cost for the end-customer and has to pay an extra premium per call.
3. You can only RECEIVE Incoming calls on the Toll-Free Number, this can be diverted and forwarded the way you want using us (shameless marketing 🙂 ). No dialing out from the Toll-Free number. <Many aren’t aware of this>
4. No SMS’s are possible on the Toll-Free number, and the sender ID on SMS’s are typically anyway from a 6 character sender ID for Transactional or a random digit series for Promotional unless you have taken a Long/Short code.
Suggested Read: 8 Reasons Why Businesses Should Use Virtual Number India
Who should take a Toll-Free number?
Typically Businesses which are slightly large (not SME’s), can spend an extra amount of money on each call to make their end customers feel that they are valued. It is more an emotional + comforting style of marketing & branding (soft power types) to make the end consumer value their time and MONEY. You would make it a central number for 1 campaign or all your queries depends on the business.
If you are looking for a Toll-Free number and want to see how this works before investing, Request a Demo and get a trial account worth INR 1000.